Land

Cielo Wind Power Cares
Cielo understands and respects the natural resources owners rely upon to generate and sustain a livelihood. Wind generating facilities are often sited on viable agricultural land used for crop production or grazing. Properly siting the turbines and roads within a project creates an environment where wind generation and agriculture can co-exist and thrive. The added income from wind generation provides an alternative income stream and offsets the uncertainties associated with crop and livestock production.

When building a project, Cielo understands the owner’s unique concerns about how their property is accessed and used. As tenants on the land, we take into consideration the welfare of the livestock, seasonal harvesting operations, cultivation and crop production. Cielo takes care to return the land to its previous condition before the start of our construction operations by placing back the existing soil and restoring the land to its original grade and vegetation. We narrow roadways created for heavy equipment during construction to accommodate smaller maintenance vehicles, and return the access roadway to its original condition. These are just few of the ways Cielo expresses respect for property in our developments. Coming from a ranching heritage, the owners of Cielo understand the value of protecting natural resources and being a good steward of the land.

Landowner Benefits from a Cielo Wind Project

  • Landowners have received over $100 million in royalties
  • Total number of acres for all projects is over 150,000
  • Over 315 landowners continue to benefit from Cielo developments
  • Wind turbines provide landowners with a constant revenue source through lease and royalty payments
  • Wind turbines and access roads use an average of 5% of land. The other 95% remains open for previous land uses
  • Wind farms create jobs and tax revenue for the local community, benefitting both landowners and towns

How Cielo Works with Landowners

  • Cielo builds high-quality site access roads which landowners can also use to access their property.
  • Cielo leaves the land used for wind development in the same or better condition than when construction began. Cielo uses double digging methods and reseeds the land after construction.
  • Two easements are required to develop the property: (1) a road easement allows roads to be built so construction workers and equipment can reach the turbine sites, and (2) a wind non-obstruct easement stipulates that landowners will not build structures over a certain height, such as a tall building or structure that could potentially decrease wind in the area.
  • Cielo provides an available landowner liaison to address questions and concerns of landowners, as well as provide inspections, safety reports and a means of communication to construction workers, operations and maintenance staff.
  • During operations and maintenance, Cielo does not allow firearms or hazardous materials onto the land, maintains access roads and site security, and promptly repairs any damage to the land or turbines.

How We Do It
When prospecting sites to develop wind projects, our initial task is to determine if a potential property warrants further examination. The three most important factors we look for when scouting a location are:

  • Wind resource
  • Proximity to transmission lines
  • Permitting risks

If a property has development potential, Cielo will conduct a survey of the site and install meteorological towers. Over a period of several months to several years, the meteorological towers will collect data about the wind quality. Cielo’s team of meteorologists uses this data to perform extensive research about the property.

Once we agree to develop a property, Cielo will construct high quality roads, prepare turbine sites and build and assemble the turbines. As an added benefit, the roads are permanent and available to the landowner during and after construction.
After the turbines are assembled and fully operational, Cielo’s expert maintenance staff will regularly visit the turbines to collect data, make repairs and perform routine maintenance.

Why We Do It
By giving consumers the choice of renewable energy, utility companies provide a direct way to help the environment. Cielo is focused solely on meeting a utility’s power demand without harming the environment.

As stewards of this planet, it is our responsibility to find sustainable ways to provide power for our society. Renewable energy is a gift — not a compromise. We sacrifice nothing to gain the benefit of the power contained in wind, sun or tide.

Everyone wins with wind. Wind creates electrical power for consumers, conserves valuable non-renewable resources and stimulates rural economies by providing tax revenue to the local government, royalties to landowners and new jobs for area residents.

At Cielo Wind, we believe using the wind is the responsible thing to do.